Saturday, March 7, 2009

Education Concern... Declining?


Homework deadlines and increasing GPA pressure make the inevitably approaching finals week stressful enough for students. But what if the only internet access you had available wouldn’t allow you to use their college resources for “soon to be due” homework?

Due to the current economy crisis, my family like many others had to shut off the internet completely, resulting in higher stress for students. With the Benton Center closed on weekends and the public library only allowing an hour’s time on the computer, the pressure of deadlines are high, so I decided to go to the Oregon State Valley Library.

Expecting to get done in a few hours, I sat at the computer ready to do some homework. I complained at the front desk that the Microsoft Word wasn’t working and she (refusing to give me her full name) rudely replied, “Only those who are OSU students have the privilege to use that resource, you’ll need to find it somewhere else.”

Irritated and shocked, I sat and thought about exactly what she had just told me. I and many other students are going to LBCC in order to transfer to OSU; but how do they expect us students to get good grades when were not even allowed access to any resources we that we need.

“We cannot let anyone other than student or staffs have access to Microsoft due to political reasons,” said Sherry Thomas, and employer of Oregon State University.

Political reasons? I thought “don’t political leaders state regularly that education is one of the nation’s top priorities?” I did some investigating and found nothing of the sort of politics refusing access to the public of needed resources.

Although what I did find was a statement from the core of our political standing saying “our higher education system is very accessible and helps students succeed once they get there,” quoted the U.S. Department of Education website.

As you can see, Politics have nothing to do with why OSU won’t let any “non-students” use common resources that anywhere else (if were open) would gladly allow. My interpretation of the whole situation is nothing to smile about.

Thank you Oregon State, you helped oh so much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Halee,

I am very sorry to hear about the rude treatment you got. There's really no excuse for that.

I use Google Docs (which is hosted on Googles servers, so you don't have to have a copy on the computer you are using) instead of Word just because I am too cheap to buy Microsoft Office. You can read word documents with it. You can create a Google Doc and save it as a Word doc so that your profs can read it with Word.

Ask me in class if you are interested in how to do that.